Thank you for your interest in James Irwin Charter Schools. Please follow the steps below to complete the enrollment process.
1. Complete an application
This is required in order to have your student’s name added to the wait list. For the 2018-19 school year, visit the website below to create your account and complete your application. Enrollment for the 2018-19 school year is open from October 6, 2017 – October 2, 2018.
Please note – Kindergartners must be 5 years old by July 1st of the year they want to enter kindergarten. First graders must be 6 years old by September 15th of the year they want to enter 1st grade.
- Astrozon Campus Lottery 2/7/2018 (JICES, JICMS and JICHS)
- Howard Campus Lottery 2/15/2018 (JICA)
- Power Technical Early College 2/21/2018 (PTEC)
Note – Applications received after January 31st will be added to the post-lottery wait list based on date/time of submission and priorities no longer apply.
Visit James Irwin Charter Schools (optional)
Tours are available at each school and may be scheduled by calling these numbers:
|James Irwin Charter Academy||(719) 302-9100|
|James Irwin Charter Elementary School||(719) 302-9107|
|James Irwin Charter Middle School||(719) 302-9108|
|James Irwin Charter High School||(719) 302-9109|
|Power Technical Early College (PTEC)||(719) 301-6200|
2. Attend a Mandatory Parent Meeting
Parent meetings provide detailed information about the school. It is important to understand the program offered to ensure it will be a good fit for your student. You will receive an invitation through your SchoolMint account with available dates and times. (If you are unable to attend the date/time on your invitation through SchoolMint, please contact the Admissions Department.)
3. Once you are notified through SchoolMint that you have received a spot, please accept or decline the offer within 24 hours.
All offers of enrollment not accepted by the deadline will be considered declined by the family. The offer will then go to the next student on the wait list, and your student will be removed from our list. (If you receive a wait list number, please monitor your progress through SchoolMint. A communication via SchoolMint will be sent to you when a spot becomes available.)
This completes the enrollment process.*
*Note – “Enrolled” refers to the status of a student whose parent has completed the application and accepted an available spot. The next step is to complete the New Student Registration and Placement.
New Student Registration and Placement
1. Upon acceptance of your student’s spot, the Registration Packet will be available through SchoolMint. Please complete the packet within 48 hours of accepting the spot, including all of the required documents.
- It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to provide each of these documents. Please contact the Admissions Department if you are unable to obtain these documents.
- Birth Certificate
- Shot Record
- Guardian Photo ID
- Any Special Services documentation such as a 504, IEP, ELLP (if applicable)
- Latest Report Card – registering for grades 1-12
- Latest Attendance Report – registering for grades 1-12
- Latest Discipline Report – registering for grades 1-12
Note – The Registration Packet along with required documents must be received in order to be invited for placement testing.
Because each of our schools operates under a Local Educational Agency (LEA), the LEA must consider whether the special education needs of a student can best be provided through placement at the charter school. Therefore, upon completion of the enrollment process, special education documents will be required during the registration/placement process for review and approval by the IEP team to ensure the student’s needs can be met within the educational setting of the charter school.
2. Placement Testing (Note: Placement tests are not entrance exams)
Placement tests are given to students entering grades 1-12 to ensure they will be challenged and successful. Appropriate course level and/or grade placement will be determined by the placement test.
Timing: You will receive an invitation through your SchoolMint account with the testing date and time. Please RSVP within 24 hours.
Location: Testing for all James Irwin Charter Schools takes place at 5525 Astrozon Blvd. on the south side of the campus.
JICHS Map – Admissions Office
Testing Subjects (grades 1-5): Reading, Writing, and Mathematics (approx. 2 hours)
Testing Subjects (grades 6-12): Writing, Grammar, Reading Comprehension and Mathematics (approx. 2 1/2 hours)
Note – Due to limited space and computers, an RSVP is required for your student to attend that testing session. Should an RSVP be followed by a no show/no call, we will assume you have made a different educational choice for your student and they will be removed from our student list.
Once the results of the tests are available, parents will be contacted to review the results.
3. Attend a Mandatory Parent Meeting (if you have not already done so).
Parent meetings provide detailed information about the school. It is important to understand the program offered to ensure it will be a good fit for your student. You will receive an invitation through your SchoolMint account with available dates and times.
4. Written Confirmation of Placement
This step is to confirm the agreed upon school and grade placement for your student.
Feel free to contact the Admissions Department with any questions or to get further information.